Sunday, October 15, 2006

Teleportation is Coming

Another technology from Star Trek is in development. On April 26th, I wrote about how we're about to see Star Trek style replicators in the form of mass-produced DFDs (Digital Fabrication Devices) link

Teleportation of matter has now been demonstrated. A team of scientists at the Niels Bohr Institute at Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by teleporting an object a distance of about half a meter.
CNN article
New Scientist

Hmmm...which of my stocks involve airlines? GE makes jet engines for Airbus and Boeing.

3 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Green Salad said...

I've got to make several long-haul trips between Anchorage and the East coast of USA this month. If only teleportation could be brought to market quickly.

Booking late, I got seat assignments wedged between the aisle seat and window seat. I hope they aren't obese people!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Spacerguy said...

Is this photo from the episode " The Enemy Within?" If so, Why didn't the guy in purple, transport into two beings also?

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Green Salad said...

Unfortunately, I don't know my Star Trek well enough. For Christmas, I'm asking my wife for a library of the original series on DVD. I've always wondered if teleportation would involve something like a fax transmission, where a reasonable copy appears and the original item still exists and somehow needs to be stored or disposed of.

If that's the case, how many would want to be teleported?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home